Events, Traders & Stallholders


You will need to apply for a TRADERS permit if you are:

  • Trading from a vehicle selling food i.e. ice-cream van, food van
  • Trading from other vehicles i.e. Show bag van
  • Trading from a fixed stall i.e. a kiosk
  • Selling door to door
  • Persons travelling throughout communities selling their wares

You will need to apply for a STALLHOLDERS permit if you are:

  • Trading from a movable/temporarily fixed stall, structure or table etc., i.e. Markets, Fetes etc.

Applications for a Stallholders/Traders Permits must be submitted to the Shire at least 7 business days BEFORE the event.

You can access the stallholder/traders application form here.


The relevant fees for each permit are to be paid up front at the time of submitting the application. Should your application be declined you will be notified in writing and the fee refunded.

Charitable, recreational or sporting organisations are exempt if they can provide a statement as per clause 6.7(1) of the local law stating that any member does not receive any pecuniary profit from the organisation except where the member is an employee or the profit is an honorarium.

Download a complete listing of fees and charges for Shire services and facilities.


The Shire of Derby/West Kimberley is committed to supporting public events that provide entertainment and enjoyment for the community. An important aspect of organising a public event is to ensure that it is run safely and successfully. Organisers of public events held within the Shire are required to lodge an Event Application Package for the proposed event to the Shire’s Environmental Health Section. You can access the events application form here.

There are a number of licences, basic standards and safety measures which event organisers must consider when planning an event. Some of these include:

  • Public Liability Insurance
  • Liquor Licence (Department of Racing, Gaming & Liquor)
  • Licence to Occupy Crown Lands (Department of Lands)
  • Crowd Control Measures
  • Emergency Exits
  • First Aid
  • Food & Water
  • Temporary Structures (marquees, tents, stages and stands)
  • Toilet Facilities
  • Traffic Management
  • Litter

Please note it is compulsory to obtain Event approval from the Shire for events held on public land.

For further information please contact the Environmental Health Team on 08 9191 0999 or

The Department of Health has developed guidelines to assist organisers of events, concerts and public gatherings to ensure events and mass gatherings are safe for patrons, do not disturb neighbouring properties and provide uniformity of events and gatherings throughout WA. These guidelines can be accessed on the Department of Health Events Registration page here.

Useful Links