Food safety

The Shire's Environmental Health staff monitor food premises and food quality.

If you're making and preparing food at home to sell, you need a Food Licence. Food Licences can be obtained from the Shire.

For more information, read our flyer here

You can find the Food Business Application Form on our page here.

If you intend to operate a food premises or wish to make available food for the public at fund raisers of fetes please contact an Environmental Health Officer on 08 9191 0999 or

I'm Alert - Education and Hygiene Training

Food Handlers are required to have appropriate skills and knowledge to perform their food handling duties. The Shire of Derby/West Kimberley recommends the free online training program I'm Alert which will assist food handlers to develop their food safety and hygiene skills. Food Handlers can print out a certificate after successful completion of the program to demonstrate that training has been undertaken.

Useful Links

Hand Hygiene

Cleaning and Sanitising

Food Handlers

Temperature Control

How to avoid food poisoning

Food Act 2008