Infringement Notices

If you have received an infringement notice you have 28 days from the date of issue to pay, appeal or elect for the matter to be dealt with by a magistrate.

Payment of Infringement

To pay an infringement simply attend one of the following locations with the infringement you were issued with between Monday to Friday 8am to 4pm:

• In person at either:
   o Shire’s Derby Administration Office, Loch Street, Derby; or
   o Shire’s Fitzroy Crossing Administration Office, Forrest Street, Fitzroy Crossing; or
• Over the phone on 9191 0999; or
• By post to the Chief Executive Officer, Shire of Derby/West Kimberley, PO Box 94, Derby WA 6728

If you believe you were not the person responsible at the time of the infringement being issued or you have a valid reason as to why the infringement should be withdrawn, you may write to the Chief Executive Officer, Shire of Derby/West Kimberley PO Box 94, Derby WA 6728 or send an email to stating your full name, postal address, and infringement number and the reason why you are appealing the infringement and forward this information for review before the 28 day period has expired.

Once your request to review your infringement has been submitted with supporting evidence of your claim, your application will be assessed on its own merits and you will be advised of the outcome in writing.

Elect to take the matter to Court

Everyone has a right to have their matter brought before a court of law. If you elect to take this matter to the courts DO NOT pay the infringement, but you MUST advise the Shire of Derby/West Kimberley in writing that you intend to have your matter heard before the courts. After the paperwork has been filed with the courts you will be issued a Summons to appear in court.

Fines Enforcement Registry WA

Should you fail to pay your infringement within the 28 days, (excluding appeals or court elections), a final demand letter will be issued by the Shire of Derby/West Kimberley. In this case, additional fees will have been incurred and an additional 28 days to pay will be given. Where no payment has been made, the Shire of Derby/West Kimberley will automatically refer your fine to Fines Enforcement Registry.


If you do not pay the modified penalty within 28 days, you may be prosecuted in court or enforcement action may be taken under the Fines, Penalties and Infringement Notices Enforcement Act 1994. Under that Act, your driver’s licence may be suspended, your vehicle licence may be suspended or cancelled, your details may be published on a website, your vehicle may be immobilised or have its number plates removed, and your property may be seized and sold. If the matter is registered with the Fines Enforcement Registry, additional costs will also be payable. If you change your address it is important that you advise us immediately. Failure to do so may result in your driver’s licence or any vehicle licence you hold being suspended without your knowledge.

If you are experiencing difficulties in paying your infringement notices and/or court fines, you are encouraged to contact the Fines Enforcement Registry to discuss your options.

The Fines Enforcement Registry can be contacted to help you with your matters and available options by contacting 1300 650 235 (from landlines) or + 6 18 9235 0235 (from mobile phones or international) between 8.30 am to 4.30 pm, Monday to Friday (except public holidays) or via email at