FAQs: COVID-19 / Coronavirus updates

Published on Monday, 6 September 2021 at 10:26:00 AM

Disclaimer - This information is considered valid as at the date of publication (shown below). Updates will be provided only as, and when, relevant information becomes available.

Latest information (24 September 2021)

COVID-19 Vaccination Program rollout in WA

Q. Can I get vaccinated? Who is eligible? How do I book my vaccination?

From Monday 16 August 2021 all Western Australians over the age of 16 years are eligible to gain their COVID vaccination

Roll Up for WA will provide direct links to current vaccine information, helping to answer questions and concerns, allowing your community to directly book their COVID vaccination.  

Who can get vaccinated?

Pfizer vaccine video - community information  

The vaccine is voluntary and strongly encouraged in Australia.

Please note If you would like to make an appointment, please ensure in the first instance that you are registered on Vaccinate WA by Registering here (health.wa.gov.au)

  • Broome COVID-19 Vaccination clinic             9195 2555
  • Derby COVID-19 Vaccination clinic                9193 3271
  • Fitzroy COVID Vaccination clinic                    9191 5485
  • Kununurra COVID Vaccination clinic              9166 4654

Healthy WA has information about WA’s vaccination program along with FAQs.

These links include information about special circumstances where people will need to speak with their doctor or immunisation provider to decide whether the COVID-19 vaccination is right for them.

The Derby Vaxathon is taking place in October and November. Check out the details below:

Derby Vaxathon

Q. When will the WA border interstate border open and what are the conditions?

A. For the latest information on the rules of traveling between Australian states, click here.

From December 5 2020, particular businesses must maintain contact registers for WA Health Department COVID-19 contact tracing, using the SafeWA app. This will include the Derby and Fitzroy Library and Derby Memorial Swimming Pool. For more information, click here.

Q. What are the latest rules around COVID-19 and travelling to the Kimberley?

A. The latest information is available here.

Q. What travel restrictions are in place in the Kimberley?

A. The Kimberley border re-opened on June 5 2020, but non-essential travel to most remote Indigenous communities remains prohibited. For more information, click here.

Q. What should I do to prevent contracting COVID-19?

A. It is now very important to adhere to advice from the State and Federal Governments in relation to social distancing. The Shire of Derby/West Kimberley reiterates the Governments’ sentiments that unnecessary travel and meetings should be avoided and we encourage our community to follow medical advice and get vaccinated.

Q. I am displaying COVID-19 symptoms, what should I do?

A. If you are displaying COVID-19 symptoms, do not present to the hospital or go out into the community. You should start a self-isolation period at home for 14 days and contact the Coronavirus Health Information Line on 1800 020 080.

Q. Where can I get up-to-date information on COVID-19?

A. If you want more information on COVID-19, call the Coronavirus Health Information Line on 1800 020 080 or visit the WA Health Department or Federal Health Department websites. The Federal Government has also released a COVID-19 app, which can be accessed/downloaded from the Apple App Store or Google Play.

The State Government has established a hotline to help answer questions West Australians have on the current COVID state of emergency. It operates between 7am and 10pm every day - simply call 13 26 843 or 13 CORONA.

The State Government has provided a rundown of contact details for essential services here(PDF, 382KB).

Aboriginal communities

Q. Can I travel to Aboriginal communities in the West Kimberley?

A. From August 3 2020, some Indigenous communities have been granted exemptions from the State Government, allowing access. For more information from the State Government in relation to traveling to and from Aboriginal communities, and to see a list of places where travel is permitted, click here

Aboriginal resources

Q. Are there specific resources available for Aboriginal communities?

A. Yes. The WA Department of Health website has a number of posters and a radio resource. The Aboriginal Health Council of WA website has a dedicated COVID-19 page and is providing regular updates. The Commonwealth Department of Health website has radio resources in a variety of languages and a video. The National Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation's website also has a video. Information for remote communities is available on the Department of Communities website - it includes details about travel restrictions and assistance for Aboriginal people to return to their communities.

For more information from the State Government in relation to traveling to and from Aboriginal communities, click here.

Derby Memorial Swimming Pool

Q. Is the Derby Pool open?

A. SDWK is delighted to announce that the Pool has reopened as the State Government’s relaxations around COVID-19 restrictions come into play. However, the Shire would like to reiterate that social distancing and personal hygiene are key.

For the latest information, visit the SDWK Facebook page or revisit this FAQ page.


Q. How important is cleaning?

Cleaning is critical during the COVID-19 outbreak, not just for hospitals but also in non-healthcare settings such as homes, offices, workplaces, public areas, government buildings, reception areas, hotels, schools, childcares, shops, buses, trains, taxis and cars.  Information has been prepared to help everybody to better understand how to ensure the most effective methods are used.

Latest information

Q. Where can I get the latest information on COVID-19?

A. The State and Federal Departments of Health are the lead agencies in relation to a COVID-19 response. For more information, call the Coronavirus Health Information Line on 1800 020 080 or visit the WA Health Department or Federal Health Department websites. The Federal Government has also released a COVID-19 app, which can be accessed/downloaded from the Apple App Store or Google Play.


Q. Is the Library open?

A. SDWK is delighted to announce that the Derby and Fitzroy Crossing Public Libraries have reopened, as the State Government’s relaxations around COVID-19 restrictions come into play.

For more information, call 9191 0900.

Q. What online library resources are still available?

Electronic resources like e-books, e-audiobooks, digital magazines and the streaming of international films are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Click here to enjoy these resources.

Q. I am having difficulty accessing these Apps, can someone help me?

A. Our library staff members remain on call during normal work hours and can be contacted at libmanager@sdwk.wa.gov.au or on 9191 0900.

Public conveniences (toilets)

Q. Are public toilets still open?

A. Yes, public toilets remain open. The Shire has increased cleaning services at public toilets to enhance sanitisation and the prevent the potential spread of the virus.


Q. Do I still have to pay my rates?

A. Yes, the Shire remains committed to providing the community services that are delivered through ratepayer money.


Q. Are roads to Kimberley destinations still open?

A. Yes, all roads are currently open. The Shire will advise the community should this change. For more information, visit the Shire of Derby/West Kimberley website.

WA Aboriginal Affairs Minister Ben Wyatt previously stated that access to all remote Indigenous communities was prohibited. For some communities, this has been loosened - for more information, click here.

Shire Administration Building

Q. Is the Shire administration building still open?

A. Yes, the Shire Administration Building is still open. However, where people can access services online or phone for information, they are strongly requested to do so. For more information, visit the Shire of Derby/West Kimberley website.

If you are feeling unwell or have symptoms reflective of COVID-19, do not come to the Shire Administration Building and seek medical advice immediately.

Support services

Q. Where can I get support?

A. For financial support, click here for a link to the treasury website. For financial counselling and crisis assistance, click here. For a mental wellbeing support service, click here.


Q. Can I get tested to see if I have COVID-19?

A. Anyone in the Kimberley with a temperature of more than 38C or with flu symptoms can receive a coronavirus test in the latest measures announced to try to stop the virus from reaching remote communities. For more on testing, contact the Coronavirus Health Information Line on 1800 020 080.

Waste management

Q. Will my bins still get picked up? Is the tip still open?

A. Yes, your bins will still get picked up as scheduled and the tip is open. Any updates will be communicated though the Shire Website and Facebook page.

Back to All News